mIRCStats Forums

State-of-the-Art IRC Channel Statistics
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:24 pm 

I have a custom parser that parses a log file input generated from some chat log data...

If i generate the chat log using people's "nicks" and then use the %nick% in the parser, the Relation Map, Chats Mostly With, and Friends in <channel> functions work great...

However if i generate the chat log using people's "names" and then use the %name% in the parser to allow for multiword (FirstName LastName) inputs those sections no longer appear...

Can you provide any guidance on why this is and how I might get those functions to work while using the %name% parser instead of the %nick% parser...

Everything else about the input and outputs is identical as far as I can tell... It seems like the functions I mention simply can't handle multi-word categorizations

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:13 am 
mIRCStats Author

Relation Map etc. should handle multiword names equally but of course there might be something that prevents this, as you have noticed. I'll check it and get back to this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:36 pm 
mIRCStats Author

I tested it now. Relation Map and Chat Partners sections are generated properly also with multi-word names.

However, there's one internal difference which probably causes your problem:

mIRCStats collects nick relation data in two ways:
  1. People who are active simultaneously (during the same 3-10 minute time spans)
  2. People who refer to each other in their discussion, e.g. <nick> "I really like <othernick>".

When using multi-word names only the option 1) is used because detecting random-length multi-word names in each line would be too exhausting. This is usually sufficient when you have enough data to analyze (at least 1-2 weeks conversion history).

A workaround to enable also the option 2) with multi-word names is to generate your log by using underscore separators in names (Firstname Lastname -> Firstname_Lastname). Then enable "Convert underscores in nicks to spaces" on "HTML Output/Nick Display" settings page. This way also the relation data collection option 2) is active.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:06 pm 

Thanks so much, the underscore trick worked wonderfully to get what i was looking for!